Thursday, October 13, 2005

If Only I Had A Camera Phone

I saw Betsy Ross at Starbucks the other day. She was wearing an American flag as a sweater and had a skirt with those country-style yellowed-starred American flags. And she had the earrings. Little wooden hearts with American flags painted on them. (Side note: Heather asked me if I saw "the real Betsy Ross." Clearly, she didn't read Johnny Tremain.)

Today, at mon autre universite I saw a students whose pants were sagging SO LOW that he was actually waddling. Like if you're peeing and then the phone rings. THAT kind of waddle. Across campus. He had a backpack and a cell phone, so he seemed legit. Scary.

I was driving to mon autre universite on Tuesday and an ice cream truck pulled out of a neighborhood and into the lane next to me. I noticed, after careful analysis, that it was a female driver (although she had some very mannish qualities). She pulled up next to me at the red light, put the truck into park, and ran to the back and got a Good Humour bar before the light turned green. No joke. AND she didn't even offer me one!

Apparently, 'tis the season for Snoopy? Our down-the-street neighbors take Halloween seriously. Fourteen-feet high serious. Fourteen-feet high Peanuts characters dressed up for the holiday. (Snoopy is in a ghost costume, Woodstock is sitting on the edge of a cauldron). I want to go trick-or-treating there. Every day.

6 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

first of all, we're so in a fight for you showing the internet what happens when i wake up early and am engaged in conversation.

second, as a matter of fact i DID read johnny tremain, and for a class project i had to have my fingers on my right hand taped together for 24 hours so we could feel his pain. was YOUR hand mangled for a day due to johnny tremain? yeah i didnt think so.

(ps what episode: why, do i look like i'm having trouble with my MISSHAPEN CLAW??)

October 13, 2005 9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of the few Friends episodes I've actually seen, the one where Monica gets a (Ms?) PacMan arcade thing in her apartment, and someone (Monica? Phoebe? Chandler? Ross?) plays it for so long that their hand is stuck in a claw shape.

Except, I googled it (because yes, sometimes I'm tempted to cheat), and it's from an entirely different episode, that I didn't see. But I'm still proud of myself for remembering the claw-hand because of the PacMan in Monica's apartment.

I was originally going to comment because I wanted to share something I observed today. I'm doing student teaching/observation in a Junior High classroom, and so work with awkward, strange junior highers. One such jr high boy was waddling around the class with his pants majorly sagging... only, because he is still a semi-innocent jr higher, his shirt was tucked into the sagging pants. It was truly pathetically hilarious.

October 14, 2005 1:18 AM  
Blogger scott said...

People who take decorate for Halloween rock. Especially with Peanuts characters.

Those are my new favorite people.

Except for you people, of course.

Hello, Abigail.

secret word: teehi (this is the silly, girlish laugh I use when I see a giant Snoopy dressed as a ghost)

October 14, 2005 5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowsers, I wonder what they'll have for Christmas decorations? Cross your fingers for a Snoopy Santa and a flock of Woodstock reindeer.

October 14, 2005 6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scariest Peanuts EVER!

Yeah I definitely LOL'ed about the Good Humor lady.

October 14, 2005 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dig was in the overhead compartment ... and I felt awkward. So what's the story, morning glory?r

October 15, 2005 3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home