Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Goodbye, Amber

We were all seniors taking our last required theology class: The Basics to Christian Living. The class was about absolutely nothing and I remember a lecture about student loans and STDs. We journaled a lot about our lives and our futures and I made a point of having the most creative binder. I had raided the Sunday school art supplies at church and I had at least 16 different colored pages. We had to do presentations on something. Our lives maybe? Mary Number One gave a presentation on how her parents met. Her dad was a Catholic priest, her mother a nun. Needless to say they both left the ministry.

Our teacher was new, just that semester, and we liked her. She wasn't hardened to our ways yet and she would let us get away with untucked uniform shirts. She made the class less about theology and more about "life." We liked that. She liked us too. Maybe too much. Her sexual orientation was unclear and my gaydar was just as weak then as it is now.

Six weeks from the end of the semester she disappeared. Mr. Schmidt, the ugliest, smarmiest theology teacher ever to set foot in a classroom, announced to us that she was gone and Johnnie New Shoes was going to be finishing off the semester.

I don't remember his real name but Johnnie was fresh out of college and less than five years older than most of us. Johnnie had been hired for the fall semester to teach theology to the freshmen (again, by theology, I mean binders) but they had arranged an emergency early hire to save us from ourselves and to teach us all about Christian living.

Needless to say, he was terrified of us. Thirty feminist 18-year-olds with plaid uniform skirts, no manners, and complete disdain for faculty. Why he thought it would be a good idea to start out teaching at a Catholic all-girls school is beyond me. We ran him over, turned in our binders and got our diplomas.

That's my last memory of a teacher leaving.

This morning, our Health and Wellness professor, Just-Call-Me-Amber-Even-Though-I-Have-Two-Doctorates, shared with us that she was leaving. Leaving now, in the middle of the semester. Leaving us to find wellness on our own.

She said she wasn't well enough to stay so I guess it's best she left but I'll really miss her and now I won't know who to ask about eating raw.

The new lady, Just-Call-Me-Wendy-P.S.-My-Man-Calves-Could-Tread- Water-In-The-Open-Sea-For-A-Week seems nice enough. I had her for water aerobics, a class I took for three weeks when I was an underclassmen. I guess she's healthy and well.

I guess you can never tell.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I joined water aerobics so I could have a class with you, and then you dropped. It was sad. Wendy, however, was super-cool. At the end of the semester she told us to keep in touch with her, and feel free to ask her health-related questions (such as those about raw food) anytime. I think it'll work out well for you.


Secret word: cmwad -- I'm sooo not even going there.

October 05, 2005 12:48 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Hark! Is this the Alisa who fed apples and water to a love starved mom?

You could ask your grandmother (the one who knows something and might be tough, but honest!) about eating things raw.... and receive both a history lesson and physiology lesson! (might be a good lead in to get some $$$ too - ah, we are all whores).

I think I might open a church - Amazon Heroic Warriors.... and start with the lost Catholic girls... Remember the L squad?

Morning Sunshine!

I'm with Alisa.... these code words are just not ones I want to get near this early in the morning!

"jkzjdb"

October 05, 2005 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to water aerobics once. They made me leave because I almost drowned an old lady.

What?! She was after my ball! If you're going to be competitive, you need to be ready to sacrifice your body. Grandma.

October 05, 2005 10:00 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Heather Anne, I don't think water aerobics is a competitive sport. Did they really make you leave?

Secret word: amduluia. One of the instruments Wendy played in Neverland.

October 05, 2005 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, I was just trying to sound hard. I would never drown an old woman. The problem with water aerobics is that it isn't competitive enough. But there were some tough birds in the class.

October 05, 2005 11:04 AM  
Blogger heather said...

Heather Anne,

I hope you're happy. You just made me laugh, and now everyone in my office knows I'm blog-stalking and not working.

First you drown the old bird, and now I"m going to get fired.

October 05, 2005 11:56 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

heather... my next job interview...(that I don't care whether or not I get) I'm going to ask about blogging time to keep the workerbees happy! It's my form of the watercooler or smoking breaks.

Do I really have to go back to work?

October 05, 2005 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home