Sunday, September 25, 2005

Water Cooler Olympics

What's that? You're not familiar with water cooler olympics?

Meet Co-worker Joe. Co-worker Joe laughs like Eddie from Friends. Chandler's crazy roommate Eddie.

Joe informed me that putting the giant water bottle into the water cooler was really hard. I says, "Joe, who are you kidding? What are you, weak? It can't be that hard. Next time the water runs out I want to try."

Well that time came upon us Friday. I went to get my mid-morning tea and the water cooler was empty. I says, "Joe! I'm gonna change the water!"

Joe comes a runnin' just in time to see my first attempt.

It turns out the problem isn't so much the weight of the bottle but the angle at which it must be dumped. All you office-types are thinking I'm crazy and that it's easy but clearly you haven't seen this water cooler.

It is behemoth. It has cords going into it and coming out of it. It has child-safety locks. And it is impossible to fill.

I thought if I filled it partially then I could just heave the top over when it was lighter. But the reservoir only holds so much water and not enough to make the bottle any lighter.

I got scared. I says, "Joe, I can't do it I'm scared."

The rest of the office came into the kitchen and gathered round to watch. I says, "I'm scared! I refuse!"

It was like the trust fall they tried to force me to do at summer camp in eighth. Then they were asking me to turn around and fall backwards off a boulder with hopes that I'd be caught. Yeah right.

"It's too hard. I'll make a mess. There will be water everywhere!"

They told me they'd help me clean it up but that I just needed to do it. I was scared. I don't know exactly what my fear was rooted in. It could have been failure, it could have been the chance that I might damage all those cords, it could have been knowing for sure that I wouldn't be able to successfully pull it off (or put in on, as the case is here).

Joe made me do it.

After ten minutes of deliberations, I got the bottle on the cooler, water got pretty much everywhere, and everyone, including Chandler's crazy roommate, had a good laugh. Then we all cleaned it up with quilted paper napkins. I think I could maybe go back to that boulder now and try the trust fall again.

But we're definitely making someone new put the the next one on.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit, at first I thought you were talking about The Watercooler.

qaucr - a tea set for young feminine boys.

September 25, 2005 6:14 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Curse the day that freakin Web site was designed and the day they freakin quoted me.

And my secret word is wvywgpxb. That is vowel-free curse word I am yelling at MarCom.

September 25, 2005 6:16 PM  
Blogger heather said...

why did you turn southern all of a sudden?

"I says," and "came a-runnin" spring to mind. you talk to heather anne too much.

zsufr--the stuff that's swelling up inside my head and making me sick, effectively robbing me of all my sarcastic ability, and forcing me to leave lame comments on your page.

September 25, 2005 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather! Are you trying to pick a fight?! Is there something wrong! with being Southern?!

And it's capital "S".

September 25, 2005 7:57 PM  
Blogger heather said...

Heather Anne,

I would never pick a fight with anyone who dedicated a post to the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. And that is sarcasm-free.

p.s.-- I heart The South.

September 26, 2005 7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think "come a-runnin" is Southern (sorry Heather, AP Style makes me choose). Gina (Renee Zellweger) uses the term in Empire Records. It has to be cool.

maevho, n.: a hot local boy you fall in love with on a European vacation.

September 26, 2005 5:18 PM  
Blogger heather said...

Well Gina is a dirty slutbag who actually HAS SEX with Rex "Say no more, mon amore" Manning.

If you want to side with the skeazy tramp, that's your call.

September 26, 2005 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home