Friday, September 16, 2005

Cake and my friend, the Internet

My real life friends got jealous of my internet friends.

"You guys, I got the nicest email from my internet friend Heather today. She said something like I was her favorite place on the internet or something. It made my day."

I resisted opening the email and reading it all to them. They didn't let me read emails from previous relationships, they're not about to listen to my internet friends' nice things to say about me.

But seriously people. They were concerned.

"You guys, can I tell you a funny story about Heather Anne?"

"ehhh, I don't think I like her," my roommate whined. She looked hurt, like a three-legged puppy I had just kicked.

"Are you seriously jealous of her?"

They thought that maybe I wouldn't hang out with them anymore. That I would betray them for Atlanta. Three thousand miles away.

"You guys! I don't like her better than you, I like her differently. We just, we just understand each other."

It was like trying to tell my high school boyfriend that me and my lab partner weren't having an on-the-side relationship. "It's not that kind of chemistry."

Roommate No. 2 thought about it for a while, read some of her posts and decided, "you know what, I'm okay with the Cake Pilferer as long as you don't pick her over us."

Sometimes, after conversations like these, I feel a little bit like my life is a joke. I mean, seriously, do real people have conversations about real life friends vs. internet friends?

It always feels good to be loved by both my friends who are jealous of my internet friends and my internet friends who make me feel warm and fuzzy. I take pride in this site. Not in the bad I-can-tie-my-shoes-faster-than-you pride but the good pride like when your mom think he's boyfriend material because "he takes pride in his work." You know, I've mentioned boyfriends three times now in this post and it's not even about boyfriends. I think it's time for the wrap-up.

Thanks friends, e-migos, and e-migas. Have a delightful weekend. I promise to post more.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me tripod, folks.

September 17, 2005 1:15 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Yeah, my parenting skills are being questioned as well, "you love your blogging friends more than me!" A whole new counseling industry will open as a result of this paradigm shift!

September 17, 2005 8:00 AM  
Blogger heather said...

We just don't want to become like the Kips. And if you're not careful, Tripod and I, we'll... we'll start a new group. We're the best ones.

September 17, 2005 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home