Saturday, September 10, 2005

And who will get the art?

The house is going on the market on Thursday. Even though the market is slow, they think it will sell fast because of the neighborhood. They've lived here for 45 years. The new apartment, in the retirement community, doesn't have shower doors. You have to buy shower curtains.

"We've never had shower curtains."

She seemed lost thinking about the curtains. I wanted to tell her that I would take care of the shower curtains. That we could just pick them up at Bed Bath and Beyond with that coupon in her purse.

"There are more women than men here because women usually live longer. Paul is really excited about moving here."

She has been using a Mileage Plus credit card for the past eight years and she hasn't traveled for five of them. I asked her how many miles she had. She wouldn't reveal the number. It has to be huge. But her face still held an expression of want.

"Maybe after you get all moved in you can do some traveling ...?" I suggested. I emphatically wanted her to travel again. To visit the farm one last time and see the memorial again in D.C. I was worried, though, that maybe she never would travel again and maybe I was just reminding her of that.

"Maybe," she said. "I tell people I'm buying my freedom."

We saw two other residents in the elevator. They had just come back from the fitness center even though they were wearing slacks and crocheted sweaters. They introduced themselves (Ruby and Julianne) and told her she was really going to like it here.

"There's so much to do here. We'll make sure to get you a calendar." There really is so much to do. Bridge, bunco, happy hour, a movie every night (with new releases on Saturdays!). Meals in the dining hall for everyone and all sorts of classes, even lip reading.

She wasn't receptive, though. She told me that when she moved in she was going to sleep for a month. After that, I think she still won't be involved. She has too much pride for this place. Too much pride for bunco and new releases on Saturdays.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

karma

September 11, 2005 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice piece of writing, Abigail.

September 12, 2005 7:22 AM  
Blogger Amanda Mae said...

I hope you don't hate me, since I am in the class that you dropped.

September 12, 2005 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home