Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Coffee Hour

I never let anyone borrow my Mitford books because I know I'll never get them back. Have you read Mitford? You must read it. Jill, have you read it?
Oh, yes, I love them.
Do you ever loan them out?
Oh no. Never.

Once I loaned out my Mother Theresa book, The Simple Life ... or was it The Simple Path? And I never got it back. It's a wonderful book. Good to pick up when you need a reminder.

I think I want one of those, those Danish pastries. I really shouldn't.
You know, what's that they say? You are what you eat!
Oh no! Don't say that!

Will we see you young ladies at the 8 o'clock?
No, we go to the 9:45 service.
Shame.
We like the singing. Don't you like the singing?
Oh, no, 8 o'clock is only an hour. In and out, just like the hamburgers.

Where are you from, Marian?
Northern England, near York. Have you ever been?
Only to London.
Lillian?
Northern Ireland. We came over for business in 66. My husband helped designed the 747s.
And you decided to stay?
Well, cross-continental moves aren't temporary, dear.

Did you all lose power? Susan called me and she said, "Mother if your power goes out I want you to hop on the train" --she lives in Oceanside-- "and come on down here. Day or night." The whole cul-de-sac lost power, even the street lamps! But I didn't.

Have you read the Mitford books?
No, but my mother loves them.
Does she?
Yes, she also puts cinnamon in her coffee.
Really? Is she by any chance Lebanese?
Nope, she's southern, from Georgia.
Really? I'm from Kentucky. We're kissing cousins.

Rose, she gets passionate about things. Real passionate. She used to be against shopping at Wal-Mart, telling us how badly they treated their employees. Never shop there, she'd say. But since they started selling Bridgeford foods it's all she ever talks about. She has stock in the company. We just humor her and say, "yes, Rose, we'll shop at Wal-Mart."

We'd really love to see you next week at the 9:45.
I can't hold a tune and I have things to do. In and out.
What if we came to an 8 o'clock, would you come to a 9:45? We could sit together, I can't hold a tune, either.
We'll see, ladies.

Did anyone lose power yesterday? The whole cul-de-sac was out. Even the street lamps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home