Thursday, August 18, 2005

Bon Nuit

That's supposed to be French. As in fries, toast, and kissing.

As in the language I am supposed to be able to speak in order to receive a liberal arts degree.

And as in the language I do not speak.

At one point during my class my professor actually said, "if you can't conjugate etre [to be] then I don't see how you can continue in this class."

Well, Madam, I will be continuing in this class because I must must must pass in order to receive my degree. Before December. If there ever was a lesson in procrastination, let it be this:
Just because you only have to take one semester of foreign language does not mean you should wait until the very last possible semester to take it.
Not only does this limit your room to fail but it lengthens the time since you actually took a class remotely related to Europe. Lengthens it four years in fact. Stupid stupid stupid.

Meanwhile, I will be studying studying studying all weekend in order to pass a test next week allowing me to stay in the class. Oh, I will conjugate etre. I will conjugate it like it's never been conjugated before (well, maybe like before).

Courtney said I should really love the French because of the fries and the toast and the kissing. If I get any of the three I think I'll enjoy the class a little more.

She said I might be able to find a study buddy who'll help with the third, you know, for extra credit. Here's hoping.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

my bachelor's degree is in french, but from a state college so i pretty much got by speaking English with a very heavy fake French accent.

pardon me, i mean 'faux' accent.

August 19, 2005 6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

study guide:

je suis
tu es
il/elle/on est
nous sommes
vous etes
ils sont

example: tu es stupid to take french.

p.s. this was from heather but i forgot my password so it wont show my name

August 19, 2005 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"i don't know" is je suis pas.
( I think) that's all i know. hope it comes in handy. :)

August 19, 2005 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know = Je ne sais pas

August 19, 2005 12:57 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

This forum is for sympathy only. Not french lessons or bragging about french kissing. I'm depressed enough already. ;)

August 19, 2005 4:32 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Well, you know I was once fluent in French back in the days of yore... and can read some still (I guess if it's existentialist BS since that's what was forced down my throat as "french literature"....

Should have taken Spanish - much easier to practice at restaurants.
Senor, dos dos equies por favor!

Etre or pas Etre....

Ugh - we got home at 4 a.m. I am such a driving machine!

August 20, 2005 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home