Wednesday, August 17, 2005

8.17

The worst part of someone forgetting my birthday is when they remember. And they feel guilty and then I feel guilty for making them feel guilty and it's all just a bad memory.

My birthday always falls during the unfortunate week of the summer's end and the semester's beginning. People are moving in, moving out and generally preoccupied and confused and they forget.

I hate being that girl who says, "TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY." And I so I have refrained. There is a brief window of opportunity wherein the birthday can be mentioned during the weeks before the big day and only to people who need a reminder or who don't matter. The former roommate, the saleslady.

When I realize today is forgetten I start cringing. Waiting for the moment or the day when it will be remembered. I get used to 08/17 being simply the last updated column in the data I'm formatting. I cower in my office, counting down the minutes until at least the realization won't be today.

Not all is forgotten. I've received emails and phone calls. The central coast, Ohio, Oregon, Florida. Text messages from the valley, blog posts from Chicago. And I'm slowly learning how fractured my life has become. Those close to me are no longer those I spend every day with and it's strange because next to every phone in my office is a list of office birthdays and yet, it is those far away from me who remember.

I want to run and cover all the birthday lists to avoid the guilt reaction. But instead I will look forward to tonight when I will share my first drink with two of my best friends. I will have my Illinois Driver's License with my 16-year-old smile ready and I will be born on this date in 1984.

Don't worry, I've already received liver poisoning warnings from both my mom and Shepherd and I don't plan on getting sick anyway. Vomiting is the farthest action from anything I would want to do on my birthday.

Thanks to all of you who sent emails. Thanks for the phone calls I have received already and the cards and the Starbucks cards. If you're all lucky I might post a picture from my wild night out tonight.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

happy birthday!

see, i didn't forget, and i don't even know you.

for me the worst part is when they forget, and then they remember and then they DON'T feel guilty, and they just say, 'meh.' and then i feel guilty for wanting to make them feel guilty. or pain. ;)

August 17, 2005 12:47 PM  
Blogger ginny said...

happy birthday! hope you had a fun night.

August 17, 2005 8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey abigail~ happy 21st!
seeing as how it's 9:23 in Cali, I'm sure you're getting ready to go out- if you haven't already left.

it seems like only yesterday we met and you were 20...oh wait.

you rock, abigail. i loved getting to know you and sharing "tattoo time" and other crazy stories. i hope this year brings you amazing memories and tons of laughs.

your blog a few days past about falling in love (wji related) was amazing. sorry i didn't comment earlier. but for real, you wrote the truth. visit me when you're in IL, we'll play with legos. promise!
take care~
luv, anna

August 17, 2005 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home