Friday, September 09, 2005

This is my 100th post and it is about music

You know music snobs? They're the people who won't listen to "mainstream" music. They also say things like, "omigosh, The Shins are such sell outs. I knew them before they were big" and they go to sketchy underground concerts and usually wear clothes from goodwill.

My roommate, Heather, she's a little bit of a music snob. She has Sigur Ros and The Mars Volta on her hard drive and she's had a Thrice sweatshirt for as long as I've known her. Heather, though, while technically being a music snob isn't at all snobby about it. For example, she can appreciate a good romantic comedy soundtrack and she doesn't judge me for listening to Hilary Duff. In fact, I think she auditioned to be Hilary's background vocals (seriously, listen to So Yesterday on headphones. The "if you wanna" part will change your life).

Heather is also humble enough to give me a little every once in a while. The other day we were getting in my car and when the CD started Heather said, "oo, Frou Frou, I haven't listed to her in a while." And I said:

"Ah, hello, it's Postal Service."

And she felt awful for confusing the two and she was so proud of me for being a music snob.

Last night I went a show. Not a concert, a show. There were three bands playing with three very different sounds. The first group reminded of Dashboard, the second group "rocked hard" as my brother would say, and the third group, well they were straight out of an ad for Music Snobs 'R' Us.

Seriously, they had super tight pants in various shades of brown, gold, and tan. Their shirts were equally tight and threadbare. And they danced like they were pigeon-toed. Intentionally. Their music was a lot of tambourines and twangy on geeeee-tars with extra base and a side of drums. It hurt my ears a lot.

But they had this huge huge fan base of guys wearing equally tight clothing and girls wearing bohemian hair wraps and flowy skirts. I was there with my brother, a music snob, and he turned to me and said," these guys are so cool that we are getting cooler just being near them."

However, when I said I really wanted to go he said it was okay (even though he really liked them) because this show wasn't the right environment to be listening to them.

"We should be in some international coffee house drinking fair trade coffee."

"And writing our poetry? And making our own clothes?"

"Yeah."

10 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

....and abs has officially discovered cold war kids.

love,

the snob.

September 09, 2005 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have to admit it, though, a $6 dollar show where you're standing so close to the band you can see the sweat on their foreheads is much more of a thrill than...a $16 dollar concert where you're miles away from the band - elbows ramming your ribs, beer spilling, and junior high girls ripping off their halter tops beside you.

Just this once I part ways with you, Abigail, and join your brother.

besides, they usually give out cool pins to put on your Value Village bag.

September 09, 2005 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone else in the audience had this to say.

September 09, 2005 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me commenting last. I don't why it doesn't say that.

September 09, 2005 6:26 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

I have learned that the really tight pants the guys' are wearing?? They're girls' pants. Yeah, uh huh, that's what is cool.... looks really weird to me. In fact, it looks like the pants make the guys walk pigeon toed.

September 10, 2005 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly did listen to the Shins before Garden State, before they were big ... which is weird because EVERYONE knows I'm Squarey McSquare and I used to love the Backstreet Boys. But I never tell anyone this about the Shins ... because it makes me sound like ... the kind of person you describe ...

September 10, 2005 7:27 PM  
Blogger heather said...

...and whats so bad about that?

September 10, 2005 7:31 PM  
Blogger brian said...

lol

September 11, 2005 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally listened to Hilary Duff today when I was doing laundry. My roommate's boyfriend really loves her. ;)

September 11, 2005 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney, you're a music snob without the snob (like Heather). I mean, come on, we listened to Ashlee this morning.

And Shepherd, honestly, you know you're proud of The Shins thing. I can't believe you even tried to deny it.

September 12, 2005 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home