Sunday, September 04, 2005

I know I brag about my church every Sunday

I was interested in journalism once, she told me. They said it's no place for women.

Well now j-schools are 75 percent women, I told her. I hesitated and then told her, but newsrooms are mostly men. The women leave the newsroom to have kids. It's a big problem in journalism education.

That was what they were saying when I was in school. Same thing with medical school.

I've promised the profession 10 years, I tell her. But they say that isn't good enough. And besides, they say I won't make it 10 years anyway. They say I'll fall in love and get married and make babies. And they say don't do it. Don't get married.

Dear, don't listen. I've been married 52 years and it's the best commitment you can make if you find the right person.

Majorie, this church has changed my life.

She had tears in her eyes. It's changed mine too.

5 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

well, as long as all we have are each other (and, of course, serious quantities of ice cream), it sounds like we can both be reporters.

September 05, 2005 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah... I was It's a Grind last night. Just sitting in a comfy chair reading. Were you in there? Are you Sally's daughter?
Small world, huh.
Next time say hi :-)

September 05, 2005 12:19 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

I am soooooooooo glad other people understand your writing cuza I DON'T!

BTW, I get a giggle each time I have to verify the posted word... this time it's CMXBUD -- I always say them out loud.... the dog likes it too.
;) I know I drive you crrrrrrrrazy.

September 05, 2005 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will make a great journalist. I would pay to read your Blog. :)

September 05, 2005 4:14 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Heather Anne,

The feeling is mutual. Let's call it even.

September 05, 2005 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home