Monday, September 19, 2005

Blue Shirt Guy

"But what if I don't get the job? What if I graduate with NO JOB?"

"You'll be fine."

"But my credit card bill! What if I NEVER pay it?"

"You'll be fine."

"But but but ...!"

"You'll be fine."

Thus was the conversation Blue Shirt Guy overheard at Starbucks while he was eavesdropping. And lest you think I'm the voice of reason, I can assure you I was the one freaking out.

He kept leaning back so he could hear more and I would look at him. We would make eye contact, enough that I assumed the first time he would be uncomfortable enough that he would at least pretend to be reading. Clearly an amateur.

And he was judging me. Every time we made eye contact he was saying (with his eyes), "you are irresponsible. I can't believe you use a credit card. You're charging your way to hell."

I forgot about him shortly thereafter. I talk loud; I'm used to people overhearing my conversations. Heck, I post them on the internet. No secrets here.

But then I saw him at work, in my very office. He walked by in his blue shirt and did a double take. I smiled, pretended I didn't know him, and asked him if I could help him.

He stumbled over his words, I mean he probably couldn't believe that my irresponsible self had a JOB with a DESK and a NAME PLATE. My competence overwhelmed him, really.

"Uh, no, no thanks."

Yeah, that's right, buddy. Now please excuse me while I go back to whining about my life.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly an amateur. There is no way he could blog about a first date he was spying on at Starbucks while it was going on.

September 20, 2005 6:33 AM  
Blogger scott said...

I just wanted to stop by for a minute to...

Oh, Hello, Heather Anne. Fancy meeting you here.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you that you are irresponsible. I can't believe you use a credit card. You're charging your way to hell.

That's all.

Hello, Abigail.

secret word: tbgoojzm

September 20, 2005 10:00 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

You know, Blue Shirt Guy did look like his name could be Scott.

September 20, 2005 10:26 AM  
Blogger heather said...

Yeah I bet he loved the Lemonade Stand idea.

Heather: "OK, I can solve your money problems--set up a Lemonade Stand in our front yard, and steal the neighbor kids' business!"

Abs: "Yes Heather, at $1000 a glass, I'll be SET."

Blue Shirt Guy: Smirks at us over the counter.

September 22, 2005 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home