Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Biting Red Ants

Those are not the kind of ants we have infesting our house. We have picnic ants. Little tiny black picnic ants.

Everywhere.

Not all at once. No no, no no. First they were in the shower. That was back in August. Then they were in the back shower. Then they disappeared for a week. Then they showed up in the kitchen. We would plug holes. We would spray RAID into cracks and crannies and yes, I just said crannies because that's what this old dying house has.

And they would come back. Every day in a new and different place.

We got little traps. It didn't help.

Most recently, they have started coming through my outlet. The outlet that my computer plugs in to. The outlet RIGHT NEXT TO MY HEAD. This is actually how I know that (despite what roommate says) they are not biting red ants. I would have bites by now if they were.

They are the most annoying creatures in the world though.

Roommate says, "just put duck tape over the outlet."

Clearly she isn't aware of the two problems this presents. 1) IT COVERS THE OUTLET. How can I recharge the source of all my sanity of there is duck tape covering the outlet?? 2) This will probably push the ants somewhere else. Perhaps to the other side of the wall. That would be her room.

She's the type that calls me at work if there is a spider that needs to be killed. I highly doubt she wants the ants in her bed. She's also the type that presents the following argument for duck tape:

"Besides, several will probably get stuck to it. Then all the other ants will find out and run far far away."

She made the same argument for the RAID and the traps and the Febreeze (because we tried Febreeze too. It turns out Febreeze is just scented water.). Clearly that is not the ant's mentality.

Our landlady said that an exterminator would be called but we're still waiting on that. Heather suggested I go over to their house and get in bed with landlady and landlord and say, "I can't sleep in my bed because of the biting ants. I hope you don't mind."

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put dishwasher soap in one of the crannies. That seemed to work fairly well. What are they looking for?

September 29, 2005 12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try watering the grass outside. Ants start creeping into our house looking for water if it gets too dry out there.

September 29, 2005 1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Biting is the least of your worries. I've watched the cartoons; I've read the children's books. Picnic ants will just carry you off in the middle of the night. Along with a piece of watermelon.

September 29, 2005 1:34 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

the bed thing? that would be weird.

the outlet next to your head - STOP THAT! It's the bad electromagnetic energy going INTO your brain = BRAIN TUMORS (or OCD)...

Ants will seek FOOD whereever it might be. Put the CAKE outdoors!
:)

I think the code word is threatening a little Norwegian or something. "aquekng"

September 29, 2005 5:22 AM  
Blogger scott said...

The landlady and landlord might be into that sort of thing, though, and that would just be awkward. I wouldn't do it.

I'd recommend a blow torch, but be careful.

Hello, Abigail.

secret word: pazrvg (I think this is Latin for "peace carpet")

September 29, 2005 6:46 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Emily: The dishsoap did not work well. They were back all over the kitchen this morning.

Alisa: The small patch o' green grass in front of our house gets watered so much that my car is actually getting greener. The rest of our house is surrounded by gravel (don't ask). Do you think that has something to do with it?

Heather Anne: Now I'm scared. Thanks a lot.

Sally: Really? I thought the OCD was genetics...

And it's not food. There is absolutely zero food in my room. There is absolutely zero food in the bathrooms.

And a little Norwegian? I thought all Norskes were very very tall.

Scott: Peace carpet, huh? Do you think we could offer that to the ants?

secret word: lobqtw. Cross between a lobster and a q-tip. Cotton instead of pinchers.

September 29, 2005 8:33 AM  
Blogger Becks said...

You need to get some water outside - they come in the house looking for water (hence the shower, the kitchen) when it gets too dry outside. Maybe you should water your gravel to appease the great ant God who is venting his wrath upon you?

September 29, 2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger heather said...

Ooooh who's the lucky tennant who gets to water the white trash gravel "landscaping" while being very careful not to splash anything on the loads of crap the landpeople are storing out there, despite several phone calls pleading with them to GET IT THE HECK OUT OF OUR SIGHT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD? Please, PICK ME.



hveyqqey--an inebriated greeting

September 29, 2005 12:39 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

oooh - a prophet among us - one who knows when the ants will dissapate.

heather, who are the land people?

Ghee, although there may be a genetic predisposition to OCD, it is not necessarily an genetic problem like BIPOLAR (which may well be in your gene pool - heh heh heh (not really)). In otherwords, you really have to work on it to get the OC going to D!

French male chicken: quoqve

September 29, 2005 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I CAN'T WAIT TIL NOVEMBER!!

September 29, 2005 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. Believe me. Yesterday our ants carried away the fridge.

Hey I "tagged" you for this thing. Just go to my blog.

September 30, 2005 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newsflash: They do bite. They're everywhere. I hate them. I hate their guts!

egxlmba: the disease that i'll get from ants crawling through my ears at night and making an ant farm out of my brain!

September 30, 2005 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home