Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Search for Shoes Continues, Unsuccessfully

I hate shoe shopping.

This has absolutely nothing to do with hating shoes. I don't mind shoes. I think they are an important part of every ensemble and a fun way to add a unique twist or to tie in a scarf or belt. (Also, I am making all of this up.)

The problem with shoe shopping is that stores think it's funny to not carry shoes in my size.

I used to go to those fancy stores where they would get out the shoes for you. But this is how it always went:

Me: Could I please see these and these and these in an 11?
Them: Sure, one moment.
They wander into the back. I put those funny sock thingys on all ready to try on the pretty shoes that I have saved a pretty penny to buy.
They return.
They only have one box of shoes.

Them: Um, we didn't have the boots or those brown shoes in 11 or 10. But we were able to find the flats in a 10 narrow. Would you like to try them on?
Me: Sure.
They proceed to maneuver my foot into the small shoe. My toes bend. My arch warps. I start to make "grrruhhh" sounds. Everyone gets embarrassed.
Me: I don't think it fits. Thanks anyway.

When department stores stopped working out I moved on to the chain lo-qual stores and the Maxxes and the Racks. Let me tell you: the Maxxes and the Racks and the chain lo-qual stores might carry shoes in my size but THEY ARE UGLY. Seriously, do people actually wear bright orange pleather heels?

So now I send my pleas out to you, dear readers, where-o-where can I find cute shoes that fit?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zappos! Oh wait. They're the devil. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

December 11, 2005 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, orange pleather shoes aren't cool? Damn it! More money down the drain.

Secret word: geyslrk

December 11, 2005 7:58 PM  
Blogger heather said...

"Oh no, two women love me. They're both gorgeous and sexy. My wallet's too small for my fifties AND MY DIAMOND SHOES ARE TOO TIGHT."


fhkwow--immediate astonishment after uttering profanity

December 11, 2005 11:27 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

If I could find someplace to wear orange pleather (and remain safe), or better yet, those finding Nemo type shoes, man - I would wear 'em in a heartbeat!

code word: seazk (in lime green)Baltic Sea tanning oil

December 12, 2005 6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally feel your pain, Abigail. I'm a size 11 too...and, all my shoes are sandals because of this.

~Holly

December 13, 2005 12:46 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

my wife is a size 11 shoe, too. i've pulled her off the ledge too many times to remember. it's not fair, but since I get her doc marten hand me downs, i'm not complaining too much.

December 21, 2005 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home