Thursday, December 08, 2005

90638

I used to think it would be crazy to stay here in this no name Los Angeles suburb. People would tell me I had potential and that I absolutely must use it. Use it to forward whatever cause they were passionate about at the moment because I had that kind of potential.

***

"I like to think I could stay here for at least another couple years," she said.

A couple years seemed so long. I mean she had potential. Why would she stay around this no name Los Angeles suburb?

"It's good to be with people who know and love you."

***

"I always thought it was a dumb reason to stay somewhere," I told him. "But now I think I was wrong."

"I think it's a pretty good reason," he said.

I looked away. That's what I do.

***

"You would love it out here."

I listened. I'm sure I would.

"Seriously, though, I know a bunch of people you would love."

I'm sure I would.

***

"I don't want you to do what I did. You have potential." She was looking at me like I was making the biggest mistake of my life. I tried to tell her I wasn't.

"Abigail, it's a no name Los Angeles suburb."

***

It's good to be with people who know and love and you.

3 Comments:

Blogger scott said...

In my experience, every neighborhood in California has a name.

This post is a little sad. For me, I am not one who believes you must go where everyone goes to be someone. You can be someone, someone significant, anywhere. The farther you go from home, the more you have to rebuild yourself when you arrive.

But, there's beauty in either decision. Leaving can be grand. Just don't let anyone tell you that staying is not. It's not true.

Hello, Abigail.

December 09, 2005 7:02 AM  
Blogger heather said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm from a town that has one (1) escalator, and a whole week devoted to Rodeo festivities.

In our book, you have Arrived if you live anywhere near a Wal-Mart.

December 09, 2005 10:19 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Process, process, process...

or better yet - transformation.... and it occurs anywhere.

December 09, 2005 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home