Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Break Up Mix

She said you’d found someone
And I thought of all the bad luck,
And the struggles we went through
And how I lost me and you lost you
What are these voices outside love’s open door
Make us throw off our contentment
And beg for something more?


It’s not even my Break Up Mix. I wasn’t even listening to it because of a break up. I was listening to it for the music. I mean, Jewel, “hearts are broken everyday.” Sing it, honey. It’s good music.

But I swear it has special powers. Special depressing powers. I was on my lunch break and I was running errands. I had to get stamps and envelopes for my Christmas cards and I had to pick up the pictures and I had to get lunch and and and and all of a sudden I was all depressed.

What? You’re out of Christmas stamps? You’re out of all stamps? This is the end of the world!

Then I went to the University bookstore to get envelopes and a magazine and I realized I had forgotten my card (which I actually hadn’t; it was in my pocket the entire time) so I had to pay via check. This was apparently the end of the world for the bookstore because CRISIS there was a hold on my account.

Now, if there are holds on my account I already know about them. So I very kindly said they were wrong and could I please pay with my check. (Side note: “my account” refers to my University account sometime entirely not related to my checking account or my credit card. Why my University account has any bearing whatsoever on my monetary assets I shall never know.)

Needless to say, they were very mean and treated me like Declined Credit Card Lady or perhaps a Check Bouncing Criminal. And I could have left and just come back later with my card (which, again, ended up being in my pocket the whole time) but it was so important that they understood that I wasn’t a criminal that I spent almost my entire lunch break waiting.

Why do I make stupid decisions like that? It was just envelopes and a magazine. It didn’t matter. Well? I blame the CD. Break ups make you do all sorts of crazy things.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I'm sorry I ever gave you that mix, Abigail. I mean, listening to it is a hard time for everybody. I'm dating The-Cause-Of-The-Breakup-Mix-CD, and I still cry when I listen to it.

I'm sorry about the Christmas stamps.

December 21, 2005 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home