Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Le Photo Day

1991 I used to think it was cool to suck on my shirt. So I would suck on the collar of my shirt all day long. So much that I looked like a dog who had lapped up a bit too much water at the water bowl. I was photographed with this look. (That year I also wrote a poem about how 1991 is the best year. Because it the numbers looked the same backwards and forwards.)

1993 I must have taken some sort of sedative because half my face was drooping lower than the other half. With the smile, this looked especially special. Also, I had braided a small bit of hair in front of my face and then pulled it back and clipped it on top. What they say about the camera catching every stray hair is totally true.

1995 Let's just say I owned a strawberry-print jumper. And this was pre-braces.

1998 I was in eighth grade so I owned the school. And by owned I definitely mean I was really cool even though I HAD BRACES AND WORE TAPERED JEANS. Oh, the humanity. Around this time my mother got a memo from the school saying they were making a graduation video and would she please submit all pictures of me, you know, through the years. She actually submitted the above pictures. Other people saw them.

2001 I forgot it was yearbook picture day and I didn't have a change of clothes. See, we had uniforms in high school and the most mortifying thing ever would be being photographed for the yearbook in your uniform. So I took my uniform shirt off and photographed in one of those teeny tiny tanks. I definitely ended up looking topless.

2002 I paid the extra $20 for three outfits and props for my senior pictures. I drove to downtown one-way street Evanston for my sitting session. I freakin' put on makeup. When I got the proofs back I divided them up into "meh" and "vomit." The latter group no one was allowed to see. The former group made me loathe myself.

2004 I said bye bye to convention and wore my hair up and messy. That was when my hair was really long--we're talking homeschool long--and I totally went college cutie instead of college chic. I chopped it all of three weeks later and started working full time.

Tomorrow marks senior picture day for me. I have to take time off of work to do this and I keep convincing myself that it's for posterity's sake so when I'm on Behind the Music or 20/20 or America's Next Top Model and they do those yearbook pan shots I will actually be in the yearbook. Rumor has it they photograph seniors in front of a faux ivy wall. We don't have ivy in Southern California and my school is certainly way outta that league.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wore tapered pants in eighth grade? Say it isn't so! You should do the cool thing and not get your senior picture taken.

November 01, 2005 11:13 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

It is so.

So terribly so.

My mother can attest to it. I think I scared away anyone else who knew me then.

Not only tapered jeans but tapered jeans with tennis shoes.

I'm finally learning to talk about it.

November 01, 2005 11:15 PM  
Blogger Heather Anne Hogan said...

Talking is healing, Abigail.

I believe that no child in their early teens should have to have their picture made. It only leads to ridicule and scorn later in life.

I also wore tapered jeans. I wore them with boots. That is way worse that wearing them with tennis shoes.

November 02, 2005 6:03 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Am I missing the picture link?

I can't retrieve the information that far back... I know I wanted to kill Cammy M - little beeeeeech that she was! Tapered jeans were in style - it was the Audrey L pony sweater that may have done you in!

November 02, 2005 8:17 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Lisa-- where can I get some of these hot pink exercise socks? I think they might encourage me to exercise.

Oh, and the pictures are definitely not in the post. They are in the vault. Very far back behind all the cash.

November 04, 2005 12:00 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Come to think of it, you probably got them from me!

My mom always gave all our old clothes to the Purple Heart (she was on a first name basis with the representative who called every month. "There will be a Purple Heart truck in your area next week.").

November 04, 2005 3:09 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

culotts! I remember those. I wore black ones with a black top with tapered sleeves to school on my b'day...way back in Year 4.

November 04, 2005 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home