Saturday, October 22, 2005

"Mrs. Fulton, if I want your opinion I will ask for it!" "When will that be?" "NEVER!"

It's late here. I'm back at the place I'm staying now, a row house in the District with four girls who work "on the hill." No one is home and the Internet is terribly shoddy. Every other page I try to view Safari informs me that I am "not connected to the Internet."

This house was built by a professional chef and the kitchen is state of the art with a refrigerator the size of Rhode Island. For those of you in California, Rhode Island is the really small state on the East coast. And by East coast I mean those states East of the Midwest, NOT the states East of California.

I did one of those things Lauren hates. I forgot to eat. We had lunch at the sculpture art garden gallery cafe something or other and then I got distracted. I think it's because I had to go to the bathroom so badly all day long. Did you know they don't clean the public bathrooms in D.C.? Seriously. And there are no toilet seat covers. And I swear, it's like men use these bathroom. That's all I'm saying.

Anyway, now I'm starving and the state of the art kitchen is barren. And the four girls are not here.

Here are some more pictures:


Breakfast, or should I say petit dejeuner at Au Bon Cafe this morning. Yes, that is a cereal bowl-sized cup of coffee. And yes the barista made a smiling face with chocolate syrup.


The metro. All the stations look like this. This is the Capitol South station on the Orange Line.


Lynn and I on the mall. That is the Washington Monument in the background. Friday night, while it was raining, I saw it from the steps of the Jefferson Memorial. It was so foggy you couldn't see the top; only the red blinking lights. It took nearly 100 years to fundraise, plan, and build. Supposedly it is possible to go up into it. Somehow I'll get up there.


Some FFA kids at a metro station. Heather, is this Redding's version of Mathletes?

The highlight of my day was a automated puppet show in the Revolutionary War exhibit at the American History museum. I videotaped it so once I find somewhere to host it I'll post the link. It's hysterical. I had to leave the exhibit and compose myself before solemnly proceeding into the other wars. Let's just say a Redcoat Governor tries to impose a Tea Tax on the colonists. And "Hmpfh" was definitely one of the subtitles.

Highlight number 2 was Orlando Bloom in Elizabethtown. Two thumbs up despite Fangs.

5 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

As a matter of fact yes, my high school had one of the biggest Future Farmers of America (FFA) chapters in the north state.

It's unfortunate that "Farmers" could so easily be changed by high school students to another "f" word that I will not repeat here.

October 23, 2005 8:39 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Now that my mania over your joy in DC has diminished, memories wafted up...... You've been there before! I can't remember why or how, but we were in your aunt's Chevy Chase condo (one block from Georgetown) when you were 4 months old!

code word: zmvgo (a drunk saying Dr.Zhivago)

October 23, 2005 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude! we should have stopped for dinner after the movie. Enjoy some liberty tea when you get home. :)

October 23, 2005 9:10 PM  
Blogger heather said...

i can see your lights through my bedroom window, and it makes me sigh with contentment.

in a completely non-stalkerish sort of way.

October 23, 2005 10:52 PM  
Blogger Heather Anne Hogan said...

Mathletes! Hahaha! That's social suicide.

October 24, 2005 6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home