Sunday, July 10, 2005

The Song That Was Playing

A bought a CD yesterday while I was out. For the first time in so very long I wandered through the aisles looking for something and not sure exactly what.

I've never been into music; I've never loved a band "before they were big" or been to a real concert or listened to a CD over and over again. I like music and I like songs I hear on the radio and songs my roommates find.

But I love music that reminds of things. Every song I love has significance in some way.

This song was great, but overplayed, every morning on the way to school when I was 17.
This song is exactly how I feel.
He played that song when we were stuck in traffic.
I listened to this song when I had to work in that office all alone with my thoughts.
He couldn't sing the do-do-dooos right.

I have a cowlick on the back of my head. In the morning, when I wake, all my hair is forward after being pressed. I sleep on my back. I fall asleep on my side and adjust after I've fallen into subconciousness.

I sleep on my back because of a person, not because of a song. But I remember which song was playing when I learned.

"Turns out, we've known each other for a long time," she said. I bought a CD recently released by a new artist. I listened to all the songs. And I can only love Track 1.

If you ask me to sing at your wedding, I'll say, "no thank you." Because, you're right, I really want to design the program.

Yes, we have known each a long time. And it's still important to me that she said I was a best friend. Words matter more than music. But I will always remember the song that was playing.

2 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

you have too loved a musician before he was big. do you not remember trying to purchase an ill mitch t-shirt before he exploded into the united states airwaves?

July 11, 2005 4:57 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

I don't get it :( === is it me? (but, of course it's you, mom!)

July 11, 2005 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home