Sunday, June 26, 2005

Strangers

The great thing about living with people you hardly know is that you can make up stuff all the time. This, of course, comes naturally for me.

We'll be having a pleasant get-to-know-you-while-the-water-boils conversation, sharing things that we would never share with anyone we actually knew and exaggerating stories of former roommates, when all of a sudden I'll find myself just saying things that are not true. Not even remotely true.

I don't confess either because confessions would cross the line into friendship.

Regardless, the other night I found myself sharing one of my greatest struggles with our part-time roommate. And then I said, "but there is nothing I can do so I trust God because he won't let the worst happen."

I don't trust God.

I pray, sometimes. I pray about my struggles and for my friends and I have my religion. But most of the time my religion is forgotten and I dwell and obsess over my struggles.

My lies are often a reminder of how I should live. And this time was just the same. Since, it has been true, mostly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah, I totally hear you on the nice thing about living with people you barely know is that you can just make stuff up.

The nice thing about living with people you know for a long time is that, after some point, you can just make stuff up and say they forgot about it. Like how their hair was so long it used to get stuck in... well, you get the idea :)

July 01, 2005 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home