Friday, July 15, 2005

Being A Writer

There is something magical about it all, I've discovered.

I have my writing books with me today, at a small coffee shop in a suburb of Los Angeles. I have my computer and my pen and my frazzled hair and I am seen as someone romantic, I've learned.

People look at me as if I have all their secrets behind my eyes. People peer around the creamer to catch a glance at my book title or the words on my screen.

I was approached three times.

"My sister-in-law is a writer..."

"What kind of writing do you do..."

"Are you writing about me?"

But all that is behind the whites of my eyes are all the images I see and all the feelings I feel. Behind that are all the rules of writing and behind that is my mind which prevents me from doing everything I'd love to do best.

Writing is challenge for me. Trying to say something new every day. Trying to use language effectively. Trying to follow the rules and trying to know when it's okay to break them.

I've had doubters tell me that writers never see the real world; they simply try to write about it. I disagree. The real world is the only thing that keeps me writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home